Skip to main content

Teaching Phonological Awareness

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster
      • In what ways will you incorporate phonological awareness teaching strategies into your daily teaching? 
      • How will you ensure your teaching is multisensory? 
      • What questions do you have?
    • roberta.deaso
      Participant

In what ways will you incorporate phonological awareness teaching strategies into your daily teaching?
      I use Heggerty now, but I will play more games and strive to make the learning more fun.

How will you ensure your teaching is multisensory?
      I use many different things, like magnetic letters, blocks, and letter/sound locks. I will continue to use these and more.

What questions do you have?
      None right now.

• williwoodz
      Participant

1. An a-ha for me was not to assume background knowledge. I will incorporate phonological awareness in multiple short lessons that contain manipulatives and movement. No questions.

• williwoodz
      Participant

I agree GoNoodle is a great tool and the kids love it!

• alara
        Participant

Not assuming background knowledge was a big a-ha for me too. Sometimes we tend to think that knowledge is there and assuming everything was covered or students were able to retain certain information; which is why is important to have explicit instruction when it comes to phonological awareness.

• sprice
          Participant

This is so important! I find myself making this assumption often, as I teach 6th grade and assume that my students *should* already know certain things.

• williwoodz
      Participant

Agree! Short and sweet is best!

• williamcorrtez
      Participant

1. How will you incorporate phonological awareness teaching strategies into your daily teaching?
      Knowing about them, I would try to spend a few minutes at the beginning of class to go over the levels of phonological awareness. perhaps not all on the same day, but every day designate a review from the most basic to the most complex as the days of the week progress. I would try to identify those students who are further behind and try to help them in conjunction with a student who already has the most developed ability. You could make pairs of students and develop some dynamic at the beginning of the class with the aim of reinforcing some skill.

2. How will you ensure that your teaching is multi-sensory?
      Through the manipulation of different objects, be it plastic letters, word cards, blocks for reviewing syllables. Watching videos or repeating songs that help me to reinforce some skill. Also invite parents to be able to download an app of phonemes or words where students can practice from their homes and put technology to positive use.

3. no questions.

• sb861
        Participant

I really like your idea of having an app that parents can use to practice phonological skills! I think this would also help them to understand the basics of phonics themselves so they can correct errors and reinforce understanding of phonics rules when reading with their child at home!

• alara
        Participant

Technology is such an important part of our lives nowadays, and your idea is a great example of using technology for an advantage and growing to become fluent readers. It can also help parents who’s first language is not English so students and parents can have a good example when practicing phonemes or words.

• sb861
      Participant

1. I plan to incorporate phonological awareness into my reading instruction by giving students lots of opportunities to practice these skills throughout the day. I want to use games in my language rotations to help them enjoy practicing it, ask them to practice during transitions or morning meeting, and incorporate videos and songs that they will like as movement breaks or lesson openers.

2. I plan to use lots of flashcards and letter tiles that students can manipulate to create words. For my students with disabilities, I also want to have pictures of how to form letter sounds with their mouth and pictures of common cvc or cvce words that I can use to assess their responses when reading.

3. My question at this time is: what is the progression of phonological awareness skills that my students need to “master” before moving on to other related skills?

• adsterry7
      Participant

I currently use the Haggerty Phonological Awareness daily with my students. By the end of the year they made greater progress than previous years.

• marialignos
        Participant

I currently use the Orton-Gillingham approach. My student also made greater progress.

• jmaddox80
      Participant

1. I incorporate phonemic awareness into the beginning of my ELA lessons. I use phonemic awareness as a warm up so my students are are hearing words broken into parts and manipulating sounds to create words or to change words. Phonemic awareness helps in both reading and writing. I have found that when I try to skip the 5-7 minute phonemic awareness warm-up, my students struggle more when it comes to their reading and writing. Over the years, I have found that phonemic awareness is the foundation and we must follow the scope and sequence to ensure that we are moving through the skills in a way that allows our students to build on their understanding of words and their sounds. My district currently uses 95% as the phonics curriculum. It is a scripted program that provides the the amount of time for each phonemic awareness activity, along with the specific words that should be used.

2. There are many ways to make teaching phonological awareness a multisensory event. Stomping the syllables, putting the left out out for the onset and the right hand out for the rime, touching your should for the beginning sound, elbow for the middle sound, and wrist for the ending sound, and smashing a small ball of playdough for each sound in the word are fun ways to include multiple senses.

3. I don’t have any questions at this time.

• marialignos
      Participant

I will incorporate Explicit Instruction. following the 4 steps: Explanation, Demonstration, Modeling, and Practice.
      My teaching method will be multi-sensory by incorporating games such as I spy where students will have to get up out of their seats and look for items. I will also have them stomp or clap. I will also use tiles.
      My question is how to explain words that do not fit phonological rules such as the word July. July does not follow the y long i rule.

• marialignos
      Participant

I like that your district uses scripted instruction. When I tutor I also use a script. The only challenge that using a script poses is making it not sound scripted.

• grael
      Participant

Gloria Rael I always make sure that the students have a strong knowledge in the letters and their sound. I knopw that it is very important for them to be able to be successful in reading and also for them to love to read.

• grael
      Participant

I now know the importance for teachers to teach the letters and the sound for the students to be able to learn to read. As a student, I had a lot of trouble to read, and it really frustrated me. Now, I try that students like to read, so that soon the students will love to read.

• grael
      Participant

Gloria Rael My question is, I wonder what will be the requirements for a preschooler or kindergartener? Let see if I am still alive to know what those requirements will be! I am 64 years old.

• grael
      Participant

Gloria Rael In my school teachers teach the letters and the sounds to our little ones. Some students understand the relationship between the two. On the other hand, some do not have a clue. we will continue and see what happens.

• alexandra.hausman
      Participant

I will incorporate the 4 steps of explicit instruction: Explanation, Demonstration, Modeling, and Practice. I will use multisensory in my teaching trying to get students up and about to find objects in the classroom that begin with the sound (s) we are reviewing or learning.

• maceves
      Participant

I plan to use many flashcards for cvc words and check for students growth during periodic times.
      I will also use the 4 step; Explain, demonstrate model and practice.

• alara
      Participant

In what ways will you incorporate phonological awareness teaching strategies into your daily teaching?
      In the school I work at we are currently using Heggerty, but within my SpEd classroom it has to be adapted to everyones goals, and level. Phonological awareness is huge for us, and we are constantly using different strategies with the students to reinforce those sound.

How will you ensure your teaching is multisensory?
      I use videos, songs, manipulatives, magnetic letters, flashcards, tiles.

What questions do you have?
      How can we approach phonological awareness with those students that don’t have English as their native language?

• sprice
      Participant

-I would like to begin phonemic awareness exercises in which my students will practice segmenting difficult words into individual sounds.
      -Since I teach 6th grade, using some of the multisensory tools can be difficult. I can make it more interactive with the students by having them do some tactile word building. Hopefully, having some kind of textured papers to work with will enhance memory.
      -What options and ideas are there to teach the most basic phonological awareness to 6th grade students who are reading at a 1st-2nd grade level?

• aperez-arce
      Participant

I will incorporate phonological awareness teaching strategies into my daily teaching as bell work every morning. We will start reading block with some activities like blending cvc words and identifying beginning or ending sound, and rhyming words.

• fallon.trisoliere
      Participant

I loved the four step teaching process with including explanation, demonstration, modeling, and practice. This sounds like a great approach and one that helps make it stick for students. I think it is important to incorporate the multisensory once students get better at manipulating the sounds orally.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.