Skip to main content

4.1 – Math Strategies

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Choose one math strategy you learned about to implement in your classroom.

Then, share: 

• What worked?
      • What did you need to adjust?
      • Was there any change in the ratio of teacher versus student talk in your classroom?
    • williamcorrtez
      Participant

I chose the strategy of small group discussion.

It worked that the students felt more comfortable being able to develop the work with their classmates and exchange ideas.

I need to adjust trying to help more those students who do not like to share their ideas with other people for fear of being mocked. Give them enough confidence that even if the answer is correct or not, that does not mean that they are laughed at. In addition to monitoring the work of those students who always want to stand out, in order to make sure that they are listening to their classmates and are not simply doing what they say.

There were more students who wanted to speak this time, the students who regularly do not share their opinion in class, this time they were more comfortable to speak since they had previously done so with their classmates, so they felt more confident in their answers.

• williwoodz
      Participant

As a former ELA teacher, I am a big proponent for vocabulary. I believe that teaching, using and having students use proper academic vocabulary encourages confidence in students. Having no set rules allows meaningful conversations to take place amongst students and between teacher and student. This practice leads to a greater depth of understanding for both parties.

• marialignos
      Participant

It is summer so I am unable to implement the new strategies I am learning until school starts next month. I believe my biggest challenge will be getting away from stressing the importance of math rules.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.