Skip to main content

2.2 – Math Problem Solving Strategies

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In an upcoming lesson, model one of the problem solving strategies with your students. After you model this strategy, have students work in groups or pairs. Take notes and make adjustments as needed and share: 

• What were your results and experiences?
    • williamcorrtez
      Participant

I made different groups of students. Each group was assigned a content, and with the help of the school book they investigated regarding the subject. Then they had to teach the rest of the class what they had learned and the rest of the class could ask him different questions.
      The work was 2 full classes. The first where each group investigated the subject and towards some visual help to present the other students, and the second class where each group of what you learned.
      The students managed to be able to deliver the content with their words to their own classmates, which was enriching for the rest of the students because the subject was developed to word chords at their age.
      The students could ask questions and these were answered.
      The students were able to realize that when investigating an issue they are able to enter and teach it to the rest of the class.

• williwoodz
      Participant

Often I try to model more than one problem solving strategy. Then they work together in groups on problems. I always challenge them to come up with another strategy I did not model. This makes for some great collaboration.

• marialignos
      Participant

It is summer right now so I do not have any students.
      I would teach this by drawing a diagram of the board showing 6 columns and 9 rows. I would then have them count out the 54 squares. I would then ask them, “if we need a total of 63 squares and we already have 54 squares how many more squares do we need?” They will then subtract 54 from 63 and come up with 9. I would then ask them how this information can be used to solve our problem.

• tammy.metz
      Participant

I would use the Three-Read Problem Solving Strategy

This strategy will make the problem make more sense for the students because they have to read the problem three times: Once to identify what they know, once identifying what they don’t know, and a final time to make sure the problem makes sense to them. This strategy will ensure they take their time and understand the problem well before trying to solve.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.