Skip to main content

2.1 – Math Fluency Challenges

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Think about each student’s reasoning skills. Then share: 

• What challenges did you experience with math fluency in your classroom?
      • What ideas do you have to help each of these students improve their math fluency?
    • williamcorrtez
      Participant

When you have a number of students in the room, different learning rhythms can be visualized. Some have faster skills, others need more time, but it is possible to identify that everyone has fluency math. Most of the students use their fingers to be able to comply with results, others make them only weighing and only a few need to manipulate some help, but they are able to find results.

• williamcorrtez
      Participant

Always try to carry out activities where students can use different resolution strategies, depending on what is most easy for them. I also ask those students who end up first to solve exercises, to be tutors of those who are costing more work to develop their task. That way they can learn from their classmates to enter a new learning.

• bjshaw3
      Participant

I’ve found that students can grasp the concept of multiplication, for example, but they have a hard time looking at a fact and moving toward that quick ability to come up with an answer. Often, they can find it if they have the time/space to make a model, but when it comes to knowing their times tables, for instance, they struggle. To help these students, I think it might be helpful, since now I know they mostly understand multiplication conceptually, to move toward that fact memorization, maybe using flashcards or a multiplication chart to help.

• williwoodz
      Participant

Each student learns at their own pace and all have some level of fluency. I believe it is important to allow them to use whatever strategy they understand but with the goal that the facts become automatic. Repetition through flash cards and games will help to fade reliance on multiplication charts etc.

• marialignos
      Participant

My students are allowed to use tools and manipulatives, other than calculators, to solve problems. I also pair students in groups of two and have them quiz each other with flash cards. During transition times or when students are lined up to go to a special I randomly ask them a multiplication question. If they get it correct they get a point. At the end of the week points are then traded for special privileges. I also have multiplication rules posted on the wall, for instance, anything times 0 = 0, anything times 10 you add a 0.

• tammy.metz
      Participant

What challenges did you experience with math fluency in your classroom? I have many students that don’t know their multiplication facts, but don’t practice when I send things home, or do the fun math games I have.

What ideas do you have to help each of these students improve their math fluency? I guess having a math contract so I know they will actually complete the math skills we need to work on.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.