Skip to main content

Intro to Science of Reading

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster
      • Take a few moments to reflect upon your learning. What are your three main takeaways? 
      • What questions do you still have about the science of reading?
    • april.blatzheim
      Participant

My three main take aways on the science of reading are; everyone learns to read the same way, reading is not a natural skill and understanding Dr. Scarborough’s Reading rope and how decoding coupled with literary comprehension go hand in hand to support reading comprehension. The implications of these three take aways are huge. If everyone learns to read in the same way through explicit and systematic instruction we know that lesson plans should include both. Understanding the reading rope and its components thoroughly willl help teachers determine where exactly any breakdown in reading is happening and how to focus effective interventions. I don’t have specific questions at this point, but I am looking forward to learning more specifics about what effective reading instruction looks like.

• rhondajordan2012
        Participant

Hello April,
        I liked what you said in your post. Like you, I do believe that when teachers understand the S.R. Rope and learn how to apply these strategies to teaching and student learning, as well as the affect decoding skills have on learners’ ability to read, we will see a rise in students’ ability to properly comprehend what they read.

• charlotte.reading
        Participant

My three main takeaways; I was surprised to learn that reading is not a natural skill. That we all can learn the same. Teaching in the older grades I just thought if I keep my kiddos reading over and over they will get better. However, I haven’t given them the tools to help them get better. It has been frustrating to me. Then see Decoding X Language Comprehension = Reading Comprehension. Also, seeing Scarbarough’s Reading Rope I realized that I need the tools and then I can teach my kiddos in a more effective way. So, my question is how to I teach decoding. I know as a teacher you would think I would have learned, but in third grade students should be reading, so there has not been training in the basics.

• susan.spigelmire
        Participant

I too found the Scarborough’s reading rope helpful. I watched a video of her explaining how she came up with it and it was amazing. It is so important that we include all the ingredients necessary to build fluent readers.

• grael
        Participant

I was also surprised that The Science of Reading that it is not a natural skill. And that if you want your students to learn how to read , I , Gloria Rael, I need to make sure that my preschoolers and if I teach kindergarteners, to make sure that any problems with reading is fixed, before the student is in second grade. It is very crucial for the students. Another aspect that caught my attention is prevention is easier than interventions. I also made a note of this: everyone learns to read the same way. I will make sure that my students get the love of reading. It is an open channel for students to learn about soo many subjects. Gloria Rael

• grael
        Participant

I am currently teaching in a preschool ages 3 to 5 year olds. I have noticed that the preschoolers that is their second year in the preschool know at least a few letters and sounds and their second year it is easier for them to remember the letters and the sounds, and it is easier for them to continue with their learning. What I am making it a must is for me to daily review the letters and their sounds so that at the end of the school year most of the students are knowledgeable of the letter and the sounds. In that way, the preschoolers will be ready for KIndergarten and be able to continue the reading process. I feel confident that with the basic skills children will succeed in the following school years. Gloria Rael

• rhondajordan2012
      Participant

Three main takeaways I have to share are:
      1. “Everyone learns to read the same way.” This is huge because more often than not, educators are encouraged to teach in such a way that all students’ learning styles are reached. This approach can be frustrating at times, so the simple yet fascinating thought that learning to read is a one-way street is a relief.
      2. Understanding that the success of learners/readers begin with the concept of learning letter sounds then matching them top letters and growing from there is synonymous to the steps of life – we acquire small skills to learn bigger/more complicated ones.
      3. Learning how to fluidly merge explicit and systematic instruction into my lesson plans with the time I have for the reading block will be a welcome challenge.
      Questions – none at this time.

• drecebrissette
        Participant

Hi Rhonda,
        Your first takeaway resonated with me, as yes, teachers often times are encouraged to teach in ways that have us jumping through hoops, as we try to reach the most proficient level of teaching (according to whatever our latest observation model may be), when in fact apparently the “one way to teach students to become skilled readers,” is by teaching phonics skills and age appropriate language comprehension. Additionally, the fact that it was mentioned that reading is not a natural skill, and that students need, “direct instruction of reading skills,” is something that may be the reason why, the success rate for students in a small group setting is so much higher than that of those who may be taught in a whole group setting, in general. In a small group, teachers are able to yes, provide one-on-one support, however, in a small group setting, teachers most times are leading or reteaching the content vs. in a whole group setting, a teacher may have taught the lesson in a way that was more student/peer-led. Maybe it has just been my experience, but I feel like there has always been a negative frame of mind, when it comes to direct instruction, but in fact, that is the best way to teach reading, according to the text. Very interesting read.

• williwoodz
        Participant

I will definitely search for that video!

• jmaddox80
      Participant

I am taking away a few things.
      1. We are teaching our students to read based on the many studies that have been conducted over many years. Analyzing the strategies and the success of our reading approach gives us insight so we can do better than those before us.
      2. Everyone learns to read the same way. We have to include very specific things to ensure that our students can successfully learn to read. This is true for all types of learners, even those with dyslexia. I would love to learn strategies that I can use for my students that have dyslexia.
      3. The example of a reading lesson plan was great to see. It shows a simple, yet effective way to ensure we are hitting all the areas that need to be taught throughout a reading lesson, while also giving room for individualizing the instruction for our specific students. It is a clear roadmap that I can use to check my lesson plans and make sure I am hitting each piece.

• susan.spigelmire
        Participant

I too found it interesting that all students learn to read the same way. It is so important that we are using the strategies based on SOR to reach all of our students including the 20% that are dyslexia and undiagnosed.

• roberta.deaso
        Participant

I feel it is so important that, like doctors who are always “practicing” their art, we don’t rest on what we think we know. We must be life-long learners. Because of this, I think that it is so important for us, as teachers, to keep up with the science in those scientific articles you mentioned so that we can make sure we are teaching our students with the most recent information available.

• drecebrissette
      Participant

My 3 biggest takeaways would have to be…
      1) I had heard beforehand that 3rd Grade data from public schools had been used to determine numbers for projected prison occupancy, however, I found it so interesting how if a child is not “getting it,” by the end of first grade, they don’t tend catch up, even with intervention.
      2) Everyone learns to read the same way. After years of learning about the importance of teaching/accommodating to the multiple modalities, that statement that I read in this lesson, stood out. It was interesting to read that by teaching phonics skills and age appropriate language comprehension, that “is the one way to teach students to become skilled readers.”
      3) Reading is not a natural skill. Very true. This is why support/reinforcement at home, really helps students become even better. Practice, practice, practice.

• charlotte.reading
      Participant

HEllo drecebrissette,

Wow!! YOur first big takeaway just now settled with me. As I teach third grade and feel so defeated and helpless sometimes trying to catch my kiddos up. Now realizing that they my not get caught up is sad. That won’t discourage me from trying 🙂

• charlotte.reading
      Participant

HEllo Rhonda,

I agree with your point about finding the time in our reading block and still doing what our districts ask of us. I will need to find a way. I guess it will take further reading and understanding and maybe it won’t take as much time as we think or maybe it will be something I can do with just my strugglers at the back table.

• marialignos
        Participant

I know it can be extremely discouraging,but hang in there! I bet as this course continues we will be taught the necessary strategies needed to help our students become successful readers.

• susan.spigelmire
      Participant

1. It is important to have a scope and sequence to make sure you have a systematic way of teaching and that all skills are being taught.
      2. It is important to explicitly teach those skills on the scope and sequence and not leave them by chance.
      3. Making sure that you are teaching decoding and language comprehension at the same time to create a reader.

Questions I still have are:
      How do I fit it all in?
      What is best to do in whole group and small group?

• roberta.deaso
        Participant

I agree that having a scope and sequence will ensure that your instruction is both explicit and systematic. It will also help you to be able to adjust the degree of explicit and systematic instruction throughout the weeks/months to ensure that students are getting enough practice to solidify the information in their minds.

• roberta.deaso
      Participant

Take a few moments to reflect upon your learning. What are your three main takeaways?

Reading instruction must be explicit and systematic because learning to read is not natural in the way learning to speak is. We must be sure that all the strands of Scarborough’s rope are securely in place to help readers with all they need to become fluent readers. We must help readers early, because the chances to help them dwindle quickly.

• karamina.mohamedeen
      Participant

My three main takeaway is that everyone learns the same way.. Reading instruction must be systematic and explicit. Reading instruction begins with letter recognition and sound and builds to form words.

• epostert
      Participant

My three main takeaways from the Intro to Science of Reading that all reading instruction must be both systematic and explicit. All reading instruction can begin with some sort of letter recognition to be able to build up to be able to form the words that can be read. I also was able to learn that Scarborough’s rope is a great method to use to be able to build more fluent readers. I was also able to learn that we need to start to help readers that are struggling early to be able to decrease the chances of a struggling reader.

• williwoodz
      Participant

Takeaways:
      1. Reading is not a natural skill.
      2. Therefore, instruction must explicit and systematic. Scope and sequence helps with this.
      3.Scarborough’s rope is an incredible tool to use to pinpoint deficiencies and know where to focus.
      Sadly, there is much data to support that if students are not proficient in reading by end of 3rd grade, they may never be.
      Small group instruction is critical for strugglers.

• sb861
        Participant

Your point about using Scarborough’s Rope for deficiencies is a great idea! It is certainly a helpful place to start when determining what a student needs to focus on for automatic skill development.

• marialignos
        Participant

I agree. Students that struggle with reading must be identified early on and given the extra instruction they need. I have noticed that if they are not proficient readers by the third grade, even the second grade, it affects every aspect of their school day. It especially affects their self esteem and relationships with their peers.

• williwoodz
      Participant

Very true!Teaching and teaching well is an art and requires continual learning and practice.

• williamcorrtez
      Participant

1. What struck me the most is that we all learn to read in the same way, through the same mental process.
      2. For this reason, we must be clear in giving instructions so as not to confuse students when starting their process.
      3. They understand that reading is not a natural ability, therefore, like any other ability, it must be developed and worked on in order to fully master it.

• sb861
        Participant

Your second takeaway is so important!! We don’t have a lot of time to make sure that students develop reading proficiencies before they move on to other grades, so it’s important that we aren’t confusing in our instructional methods.

• sb861
      Participant

My three takeaways are the following:

1. Everyone learns to read the same way, which is great to know for students who struggle at first, since it means that you have the tools to help them succeed.

2. Instruction should focus on both word recognition and language comprehension simultaneously, which means that you should give students the change to practice language comprehension even if they aren’t strong decoders yet.

3. Word recognition should become automatic for students at a certain point, which we can assess throughout their skill development.

My question right now would be: Are there specific language comprehension skills that we can focus on first as teachers of young students that support their ability to decode text?

• marialignos
      Participant

The three points I took away from this chapter is that students need both explicit and systematic instruction to become proficient readers, reading is not a natural skill as is walking and talking, and everyone learns to read in the same way.

My question is how do we teach students to read sight words when the word is not spelled as it is supposed to sound? For example the word pretty,phonologically it should be spelled pritty.

• alexandra.hausman
      Participant

The three points I took away from this chapter are that students need both explicit and systematic instruction to become a proficient reader, reading isn’t a natural skill and everyone learns to read in the same way. How the brain connects decoding and language skills is amazing and the diagrams help put that into perspective for a teacher.
      Question: How do we help students who are not making those connections especially if they are past primary age?

• alexandra.hausman
      Participant

drecebrisselt
      Your first big takeaway just now settled with me. As I teach fifth grade, I feel so defeated and helpless sometimes trying to catch my kiddos up. Now realizing that they my not get caught up is sad. I will continue to try!

• alexandra.hausman
      Participant

drecebrisselt
      Your first big takeaway just now settled with me. As I teach fifth grade, I feel so defeated and helpless sometimes trying to catch my kiddos up. Now realizing that they my not get caught up is sad. I will continue to try!

Marialignos I can relate to what you are saying. I see the same thing at fifth grade. Students are so affected by not being able to read and understand like their peers and it totally affects their school day everyday.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.