Skip to main content

Dyslexia & Structured Literacy

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster
      • What is something new you learned about dyslexia? 
      • What are some strategies you want to implement into your classroom regarding word recognition and dyslexia? 
      • What aspects of structured literacy are you already using in your reading practice? Which aspects do you plan to implement?
    • charlotte.reading
      Participant

I have been under the assumption that in order to help my students with Dyslexia learn to read I had to have a program. Most of which are extremely expensive. While they might be beneficial this chapter showed me that there are many things I am doing already and can implement to help all my students including those with Dyslexia.

I have been teaching syllables, but I will now use the order in which it talked about to teach them. When I teach them I will try and use multisensory activities.
      I would also like to use some of the items that it suggested such as colored lined paper. I have used speech to text tools for some of my students and that works wonderfully.

I think the aspects of structured literacy that I am currently using is taking time in the day to teach spelling rules and syllable rules. This reading is just helping me understand better ways to teach it.

• susan.spigelmire
        Participant

Dyslexia programs are expensive, but the activities to help children are inexpensive. The trainings I feel just give you the science behind why those activities work. If you have the opportunity to get rained I do recommend it, but I also understand the costs. My district paid for me to be trained in IMSE Orton Gillingham and it was a fantastic training. I will be going through LETRS training this summer so I am looking forward to that.

• roberta.deaso
        Participant

Preconceived notions of what dyslexia is and how we can help really hinder our ability to help students. That’s why this program has been so helpful. I used to think that dyslexia was simply writing words backwards. I’m glad you and I were both able to see a way to help our students.

• alara
          Participant

I am amazed at the possibilities this course is giving us by letting us see that strategies we already use are helping our students become capable readers and how we can implement new ones to improve our teaching and their outcomes, even if we do not have an expensive program within our schools.

• sprice
        Participant

I agree with you about the dyslexia programs. I always thought I would need some sort of curriculum to follow in order to “correct” the dyslexia.

• susan.spigelmire
      Participant

I have been dyslexia trained for about 5 years now so there wasn’t anything knew to learn here. However I remember before being trained I always thought dyslexia was a reversal of letters I now know that is not the case.
      I implement a lot of strategies already but I have recently started the following strategy for HFW: I give them a sentence using the HFW word in context. Then I start by having them listen to the sounds and then we talk about how many sounds there are and show that with sound boxes. From there we look at the spelling and identify the letters and how many there are and then we put those letters into the sound boxes. From there we write the word by saying the sounds not the letters. We practice this multiple times writing them using a red crayon and a screen. We sound out and read the word each time we write it and then we come up with a sentence for our word and share it with a partner.
      I want to be more explicit about teaching the syllable types. I do teach open. closed and magic e in Kindergarten but it is not built into my scope and sequence so I would like to add it to that.

• roberta.deaso
        Participant

I think that believing dyslexia is simply a reversal of numbers is a common mistake. I thought the same thing. I really feel that education, as a whole, needs to be acquainted with all the new things that science is telling us about learning and the brain. Science of reading really is helpful with that. Thank you for sharing all that you have in this course. As teachers, we always have to remember that we are learners as well. Some teachers forget that.

• marialignos
          Participant

I too had a misconception on what dyslexia truly is. I feel as you do; that this course has given me new tools to help my students become less frustrated and more successful.

• marialignos
        Participant

Please let us know how you enjoyed the LETRS training. What was the biggest take away from the course?

• roberta.deaso
      Participant

What is something new you learned about dyslexia?

I didn’t realize that in a dyslexic person, part of the brain isn’t activating the way it should.

What are some strategies you want to implement in your classroom regarding word recognition and dyslexia?

I already use movement in lessons, but I would like to start using more brightly colored papers and I would love to get better at providing choice to show mastery in this grade level (K) in the way I was able to do in upper grade levels.

What aspects of structured literacy are you already using in your reading practice? Which aspects do you plan to implement?

I use Heggerty, so students get lots of repeated exposure using movement to help them learn. I will add many things that I have learned in this class; one of which will be I Spy to help students think of similarities in words. I also want to add more review and lessons on syllables. I want to be very intentional about that learning, as the teacher in the video was.

• jmaddox80
      Participant

I enjoyed getting a more detailed explanation of what Dyslexia is and what it is not. There are misconceptions out there and I was surprised to see my own misconceptions. I was surprised to find out that close to 20% of students in the U.S. struggle with dyslexia. That is 1 in 5 students. As teachers (general education and special education), the need for training on how to identify that a student may have dyslexia and strategies to help them overcome what they are struggling with.

We use a program called 95% for our phonics instruction. It follows the order of syllable types and it teaches our students the rules for each syllable type. It is a great program, when used with fidelity. The program walks through many of the strategies that were mentioned in this lesson, including sound syllable mapping, segmenting sounds in a word, changing sounds, etc. Incorporating gestures for different syllable types will be beneficial for my students, while also finding ways to practice sounds/syllables in a manner that matches their preferred learning style. I think the activities I will use will depend on which strategies are the most engaging and successful for the students in my class.

• sprice
        Participant

Thanks for giving a name to your program that is used. I have been looking for some to offer as suggestions for my district.

• marialignos
      Participant

This chapter taught me that students who suffer from dyslexia do not hear all the syllables in a word.
      I also learned the correct definition of what sight words are. They are words that you do not have to decode. I always thought sight words were words that did not follow the rules and so you had to memorize their spelling.
      I am already teaching the 6 syllable types in the proper order: closed, open, magic e, controlled r, vowel teams, and lastly consonant-le. I love the idea, shown in the Mr, Lucas video, of the sorting game. I will incorporate this game. While teaching a new syllable rule I can reinforce the previous lessons by asking the students to place words under the correct syllable rule category.

• alara
        Participant

I was surprised when learning that students with dyslexia can not hear certain syllables in words, I believe this is something everyone should know to avoid the misconception of dyslexia being only reading words or letters backwards. It made me think about the importance of students having a good foundation of phonology.

• grael
      Participant

Gloria Rael In this chapter, I have learned that dyslexia is not being able to spell, write, and sound out all the letters. Now, I know the importance of clapping words by syllable. I teach preschoolers, but this course has taught me that even this students need as much attention as the other grades. Thanks for opening my eyes. I think that as teachers, there is always room for improvement.

• sprice
      Participant

-One thing that I learned was that dyslexia is the most common cause of reading, writing and spelling difficulties.
      -I want to start working one-on-one with some of the students that I suspect may have dyslexia. They have made it to 6th grade without any diagnosis, but the signs are there. Specifically, I want to work more with sound symbols. I believe that it would benefit my low readers.
      -I already morphology, syntax and semantics, as these are more on grade level for 6th grade standards. I want to implement more of the phonology and sound symbols.

• aperez-arce
      Participant

Something new I learned about Dyslexia was how a part of the brain is not the same as a person without dyslexia. It was great seeing the different scans of the brains.
      Something I want to try when working with syllables is the use multisensory activities.

• alara
      Participant

What is something new you learned about dyslexia?
      It is very interesting to learn which is the part of the brain that does not activate for students with dyslexia, as interesting is to be able to learn strategies that will help my students feel confident when becoming capable readers.

What are some strategies you want to implement into your classroom regarding word recognition and dyslexia?
      I already use some of the strategies mentioned in the reading, but would like to incorporate the text-to-speech and speech-to-text strategy with my students since they have not been able to work with it specifically.

What aspects of structured literacy are you already using in your reading practice? Which aspects do you plan to implement?
      I work with phonology most of all because most of my students need to improve on this foundation in order for them to be able to continue to the other aspects, and I would like to implement the teaching of syllables in a more specific way.

• fallon.trisoliere
      Participant

I learned that all students can benefit from providing a multisensory approach, not just your struggling readers or those who have dyslexia. I would like to implement using bright colored paper, having students color code word parts/sounds, and using more manipulatives. I think these new strategies will help my struggling readers form a stronger understanding. I already provide text to speech support for certain students in class and provide prompts and sentence starters. I would like to incorporate more movement.

• fallon.trisoliere
      Participant

I loved this game as well! I like how you mentioned that you already use the 6 syllable types in your teaching consistently. I do occasionally, but I am planning to use this more often and incorporate some fun games to make these lessons more engaging.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.