Skip to main content

3.3 – Checks for Understanding

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Share your top five checks for understanding you either currently use in class or learned about in this chapter.

• bjshaw3
      Participant

My top 5 checks for understanding include 1) exit tickets given after a lesson, 2) white boards to assess students real-time problem solving strategies in addition to their conceptual understanding (pictorial representations), 3) 1-4 check-in in which students rate themselves 1-4 to demonstrate how they feel about their knowledge after a lesson, 1 being I don’t feel confident in the content I just learned and 4 being I can teach this toa peer, 4) colored cards, which I haven’t implemented in the classroom, but I like the idea of students being grouped based on their conceptual understanding of a certain topic, and 5) teacher observation, which I feel I can best gather during small groups, when I can see students work through and process problems more closely.

• williamcorrtez
      Participant

My top 5 checks for comprehension are
      1) white board; This allows me to write down important ideas to better explain or demonstrate some concepts that are being taught. 2) Stop and jot; It is always important that they can record those ideas so that they can go back to review what is being learned. 3) Short discussion between teacher and student about a concept or work; when we are teaching mathematics it is vitally important that students can observe and see what they want to teach, saying concepts on the air may not always be understood by students, but when you have a drawing or something that they can remember and then associate with some concept. 4) Misconception Check; So that there are no doubts, it is good to check as we progress with the learning, ask the students if they are understanding what is being taught, and ask if they have any doubts and correct any topic that they have not understood correctly. correct. Finally the 5) Reflect after the activity with open-ended questions s a group; It is always good to generate instances of discussion where students present their points of view, especially when students themselves are able to help each other and simplify what the teacher wants to teach. Giving them the opportunity to see for themselves how they have understood the process and then they can express it verbally helps me as a teacher to realize if they are understanding what I want to teach and how I want to teach it.

• williwoodz
      Participant

White boards, exit tickets, KWL, thumbs up/down, and one-one discussion in small groups.

• marialignos
      Participant

I like 5 words, similes, analogy, exit/entry tickets,and of course my observations. I do not use color cards at all.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.