Skip to main content

Reply To: 1.2 – SHARE: Math Misconceptions: What would you do?

williamcorrtez
Participant

. TRUE; As a student several times I thought about this and I only focused on solving problems automatically.
FALSE; Now as a teacher I try to help my students have a better understanding and reflection on mathematics and how it helps us in our daily lives.

. TRUE; When I was a student, the teachers emphasized this point. It was essential to learn the formulas.
FALSE; Nowadays, when I teach, the formulas are always in front of the students because I think it is more important that the students know how to apply the formulas rather than knowing them by heart.

.TRUE; As a student I was always in the category of
bad at math, and it was something I believed in even when I attended college.
FALSE; Now as a teacher I try to never categorize any student as good or bad. I always try to teach them that we can all learn and solve math problems, we just have different learning rhythms.

.TRUE; I remember that when I was a student, there were evaluations where the development was fine but I was wrong in the final answer. that made all my exercise bad.
FALSE; Now, I try to evaluate the process and results and give them the opportunity to correct the result if the answer is wrong and then ask them to reflect on what they think happened regarding their error.

.FALSE; I never thought that mathematics had some creativity, but that it was a repetitive process.
TRUE; As a teacher, I take advantage of my students’ creativity to formulate questions and have possible answers.

.TRUE; the exploration approach that she had when she was a student was to search for data and then solve the exercises. Now, as a teacher, I understand that the approach is different. It is that exploration goes beyond the data, but rather contemplates different processes and analyses.

. FALSE; At school I had teachers who only cared about the way they taught how to solve a problem. If we did it any other way, it was bad.
TRUE; now I try to teach different ways to solve the same exercise and each student can feel free to choose the one that suits them best. Also, if there is any student who finds another way to solve the exercise, I ask him to demonstrate it to the rest of the class.

.FALSE; As a student, I always thought that mistakes slowed down my learning process.
TRUTH; Today I try to teach that mistakes are part of the learning process and that they always help us improve through individual or group reflection to clarify different points of view.